About The Ministry of Sports
In order to realize the said vision, the mandate of the Ministry of Sports therefore, is to provide and bring into focus a new set of progressive policy initiatives whose aims are:
- To promote an awareness of general fitness, health, recreational and leisure activities of the individual Rivers citizens, whatever his/her age, occupation and status.
- To provide a forum for free and fair competition, based on approved regulations, amongst Rivers people of different backgrounds and extending this forum to national level with a view to forging a bond of understanding and friendship amongst the different ethnic groups of Rivers State;
- To provide opportunities in encouraging traditional Sports with a view to upgrading them for competition at State level, National level and International levels.
- To provide the State with the Opportunity of measuring its Sporting prowess against that of other States in the Federation with a view to establishing a respectable position for Rivers State in the Sporting Community of Nigeria.
- To arrange physical activity programme for all ages and provide the required manpower and sports facilities.